Make a selection for a more customized experience.
Lexus introduces the next version of its renowned safety-system suite
Posted: Sep 30, 2020
We don’t have to tell you that the driving environment can often be a surprising place. This is why Lexus has been bundling advanced safety features into a standard suite of technologies for recent vehicles—Lexus Safety System+* and Lexus Safety System+ 2.0*, depending on the model.
As a quick review, Lexus Safety System+ combines four key safety systems designed to help drivers in certain circumstances, such as alerting you to pedestrians* and helping maintain a preset speed and following distance from the vehicle ahead.* Lexus Safety System+ 2.0 comes with additional systems designed to detect and display certain road sign information* and help keep the vehicle centered in its lane on highways with gradual curves.*
With the arrival of the 2021 Lexus IS, Lexus has introduced the next version of the safety suite, Lexus Safety System+ 2.5*, which includes the following systems and enhancements:
1. Blind Spot Monitor* and Rear Cross-Traffic Alert*: For starters, Lexus Safety System+ 2.5 adds two Lexus safety systems to its suite. Blind Spot Monitor is designed to help detect and warn you of vehicles approaching or positioned in the adjacent lanes, while Rear Cross-Traffic Alert is designed to notify you of vehicles approaching from either side when you’re backing out of a parking space.
2. Pre-Collision System (PCS)*: PCS is one of the pillars of each Lexus Safety System+ suite; among its functions, the system uses a camera and radar to help detect a vehicle or pedestrian in the Lexus vehicle’s path (under certain conditions). If it detects a potential frontal collision, the system is designed to automatically prepare for increased brake force and, in some cases, can even automatically brake the vehicle to a stop.
In Lexus Safety System+ 2.5, PCS includes enhancements to its camera and radar that help expand its response range. The system is designed to detect not only the vehicle ahead but also a preceding bicyclist in daytime and a preceding pedestrian in daytime and low-light conditions.* The system also has improved recognition of an oncoming vehicle or pedestrian when the driver is performing a left-hand turn at intersections.
3. All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control*: At highway speeds, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control is designed to detect a vehicle in front of you and automatically adjust your vehicle’s speed to help maintain a preset distance. Lexus’ enhanced version, All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, includes additional functionality, such as the ability to maintain a vehicle-to-vehicle distance at a wider range of speeds—right down to a complete stop (with driver input, the system is also designed to resume following the preceding vehicle from a stopped position).
Lexus Safety System+ 2.5 includes All Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, and the system includes an enhancement designed to help the driver smoothly overtake a slower vehicle. When the system is activated and the Lexus is following a car traveling slower than the preset speed, the system will provide an initial increase in acceleration if the Lexus driver engages the turn signal; this is to help prepare for a lane change. After changing lanes, the Lexus vehicle will continue accelerating until it reaches the original preset driving speed.
4. Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist*: Lane Departure Alert is a longtime feature of the Lexus Safety System+ suite—it’s designed to help notify the driver if it senses the vehicle is leaving the lane without engaging a turn signal. When Steering Assist is enabled and Lane Departure Alert senses that the vehicle is unintentionally drifting from its lane, the system may automatically make small corrective steering inputs to help the driver keep the vehicle in its lane.
Lexus Safety System+ 2.5 includes this lane-assistance technology as well as Lane Tracing Assist*. This system integrates with All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control to help the driver keep the vehicle centered in the lane—even in traffic and on gradual curves—by monitoring lane markings and the preceding vehicle’s path. For Lexus Safety System+ 2.5, this lane-recognition performance has been improved with enhanced recognition of lines and road edges.
5. Additional features: Lexus Safety System+ 2.5 also includes Intelligent High Beams*, which are designed to detect preceding or oncoming vehicles and automatically switch between high-beam and low-beam headlights. The suite also comes with Road Sign Assist*, which is designed to acquire certain road sign information using a camera and navigation maps and show them on the multi-information display.
By Brian Gill
Posted: Feb 25, 2021
Posted: Jan 29, 2021
Internet Explorer is no longer supported on Lexus Drivers. Please access this site using a different browser.