03/10/2010—We, the editors at Lexus magazine, love the Lexus IS Convertible. Let me repeat that—we love the IS C. And it’s not just because Lexus let us whisk it away to the Pyrenees last year. Nor is it because the model’s lead designer, Keiichi Yoneda, gets the appeal of no-top driving.
We love this car because a) This convertible handles just as well as its non-coupe counterpart, the zippy IS sport sedan, and b) Even on our worst day, we look dang good in the driver's seat.
So imagine our thrill this week when Lexus gave the go-ahead to talk about the car’s upcoming limited-production edition: the IS Convertible F-Sport Special Build. F-Sport, of course, denotes Lexus’ line of racing-inspired, performance-enhancing extras, and in the case of this vehicle, that means an IS C that comes with F-Sport high-performance brakes, performance shocks, and lowering springs, as well as extras like black leather-trim seats, suspension upgrades, and the list goes on.
Bottom line: the IS C just got zippier, and we expect to look even better behind the wheel.
Lexus plans to make about 100 IS Convertible F-Sport Special Builds, and with production happening now, the vehicles should hit dealerships in March and Apriljust in time for top-down weather. Want one? Alert your dealer now to set up a test drive, and see below for an IS Convertible F-Sport Special Build features cheat sheet. BRIAN GILL
Highlights: IS Convertible F-Sport Special Build
- Nineteen-inch F-Sport Forged Alloy Wheels and Wheel Lock Set with Michelin Pilot Sport Tires with On-Board Tire Repair System (Replaces Spare Tire)
- All-New F-Sport Grille
- F-Sport Front and Rear Performance Brakes
- F-Sport Suspension Upgrades with Front & Rear Performance Shocks, Lowering Springs, and Sway Bar Kit
- Special Exterior Colors: Obsidian or Tungsten Pearl
- Black Leather-Trim Seats with Unique Blue Stitching
- F-Sport Shift Knob
- F-Sport Floor Mats
- F-Sport Fender Badge
- Numbered Interior F-Sport Special Build Badge
- Navigation System including Lexus Enform with Destination Assist and eDestination (includes one-year trial subscription), Lexus Insider, Voice Command, XM NavTraffic®, XM NavWeather®, and XM Sports & Stocks (includes 90-day trial subscription)
- Heated and Ventilated Front Seats with Wood Trim
- Bi-Xenon High Intensity Headlamps with Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS)
- Headlamp Washers
 The Navigation System is designed to assist in locating an address or point of interest. XM NavTraffic® and XM NavWeather require a monthly service fee and hardware. XM NavTraffic® is designed to provide real-time traffic or alternative routes of travel; XM NavWeather is designed to provide real-time weather and forecasting information in your general vicinity and along your route of travel. Discrepancies may be encountered between the system and your actual location. Road system and weather changes may affect the accuracy of the information provided. Rely on your common sense to decide whether to follow a specified route. Detailed coverage not available in every city or roadway. Periodic Navigation updates available at an additional cost. Please see your Navigation System Owner’s Manual for further details.
 Available beginning Fall 2009 on select Lexus models. Contact with the Lexus Enform response center is dependent upon the telematics device being in operative condition, cellular connection availability and GPS satellite signal reception, which can limit the ability to reach the response center or receive support. Enrollment and Telematics Subscription Service Agreement required. A variety of subscription terms is available; charges vary by subscription term selected.
 Lexus Enform premium services Destination Assist and eDestination will function in the contiguous United States and Washington, D.C. These services may also function in Hawaii and limited areas of Alaska for vehicles that contain map data for those states. They will not function in Canada or in other countries outside the United States.